We asked the Intersect Planning Committee and our speakers to help us curate some resources for you to start and continue these conversations. Please sign up for the Washington Women’s Foundation Community Newsletter to learn about our upcoming programs and opportunities to engage.
Check back on this page as we will update this list with more resources throughout this week.
Acknowledgement of Land
On Understanding Our Past, How We Got Here, and What to Do Next
- Chotiner, I. (July 6, 2020). How to Confront a Racist National History. The New Yorker
- Dunbar-Ortiz, R. (2014). An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States. Beacon Press
- Lee, E. (2015). The Making of Asian America: A History. Simon & Schuster
- Treuer, D. (2012). Rez Life: An Indian’s Journey Through Reservation Life. Grove Press
- Barge, B., Collins-Calhoun, B., Garcia, E., Lewis, J., Richmond, J., Schlegel, R., Ozer, S., Peng, S. (August 26, 2020) Black Funding Denied: Community Foundation Support for Black Communities. NCRP
- Davis, A. (2016). Why black mothers live in fear of the police. The Seattle Times.
- Hill, L. (2020). Inequity by Design. The Foundations of the US Education System.
Austin Channing Brown
- Channing Brown. A. (2018). I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness. Crown Publishing Group
Thank you to our Climate Justice panelists and speakers for sharing these resources with us.
From Danielle Nierenberg:
- Nierenberg, D. (2018-present) Food Talk with Dani Nierenberg [Audio Podcast]. Food Tank: https://foodtank.com/news/category/podcast/
- “Honoring Indigenous Food Systems with A-dae Romero Briones” (October 19, 2020)
- Nierenberg, D. [TEDx Talks]. (2015, March 16). Cultivating equality in the food system. YouTube
From Saru Jayaraman:
- Food Labor Research Center. Goldman School of Public Policy, University of Berkeley
- [Oxford Academic (Oxford University Press)]. (2016, February 19). Fair wages in the restaurant industry – Saru Jayaraman on Forked: A New Standard for American Dining.YouTube
- Pleasance, P. [n.d.]. Behind the Kitchen Door [Review of the book Behind the Kitchen Door, by Saru Jayaraman]. New York Journal of Books
- Women Making Movies. (2020, March 13). Waging Change. Vimeo
- Blog. Climate Solutions
- Climate Solutions. [n.d.] ClimateCast: The Week in Clean Energy Solutions. Climate Solutions
- Dream Corps Green For All Program
- Founded by Van Jones, this program’s mission is to work across deep divides to inspire change and solve America’s toughest problems
- Editors, Johnson, A.E., Wilkinson, K.K. (eds.). (2020). All We Can Save: Truth, Courage, and Solutions for the Climate Crisis. One World
- This book contains illuminating essays from women at the forefront of the climate movement who are harnessing truth, courage, and solutions to lead humanity forward
- Sunrise Movement
- The organizational focus is to stop climate change and create millions of good-paying jobs in the process, grow our power through talking to our communities, and be nonviolent in word and deed.
- Abichandani, D. (May 7, 2020). Pandemic Philanthropy: Moving From Relief to Power. Inside Philanthropy
- Building Movement Project (2020). On the Frontlines: Nonprofits Led by People of Color Confront COVID-19 and Structure Racism. Building Movement Project
- Daniels, V. (November 19, 2019). Philanthropists Bench Women of Color, The M.V.P.s of Social Change. And we all lose out. New York Times
- Funders for Justice. (n.d.) What is Divest/Invest? Divest/Invest: Criminalization
- Groundswell Fund. (September 13, 2017). America is burning. Medium
- NCRP. (June 22, 2020). Why We Give to 501(c)4 Organizations. National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy
- Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity
- Villanueva, E. (2018). Decolonizing Wealth: Indigenous Wisdom to Heal Divides and Restore Balance. Berrett-Koehler
Philanthropy in Action
- Lee, M., Young, R. COVID Injustice Response Circle 2020: Resources for Giving
- Pogrebin, R. (June 11, 2017). Agnes Gund Sells a Lichtenstein to Start Criminal Justice Fund. New York Times
- Trust-Based Philanthropy Project
- Reparations Now Toolkit
- Hannah-Jones, N. (June 30, 2020). What is Owed. The New York Times Magazine
- Collins-Calhoun, B. (November 10, 2020). Filling in NoVo’s Void. Responsive Philanthropy